Snow Ending

January 29th, 2014 at 7:06 am by under Weather

This is a quick morning update.  Snow is ending across most of the region, but it is lingering along the coast.

Super Doppler 10

Super Doppler 10

We’ve seen between 4-11″ of snow in the region.  We will be putting together a list of the totals later this morning, but here are a couple of reports.  We had one report out of Norfolk at 11″.  Donna in Blackwater (southern Virginia Beach) had 8″.  Theresa in Chesapeake had 9″.  Another 1-2″ is still possible over coastal North Carolina.  So between what we’ve seen and the little bit of snow left over, we are looking at numbers fairly close to the forecast:

Overall Snow Forecast

Overall Snow Forecast

Almost all the roads are completely covered in snow.  A lot of vehicles will not be able to make it through.  Especially where we’ve seen 7 or more inches of snow.  Hopefully, the plows are out in full force.  Keep in mind too that snow will be blowing and drifting today.

Again, this will be drying up for everyone by the mid-morning.  Highs will be in the upper 20s today.  No melting is expected.  Winds will be out of the north at 10-20mph with gusts up to 25mph.  Wind chills are in the single digits this morning. They will be between 8-18 today.  We’ll have a bigger update on the blog later this morning. Be safe out there.

30 Responses to “Snow Ending”

1. Millie says:

you reported it is done snowing in Virginia Beach but where I live it is still coming down.

2. Christina says:

Green Run Baptist Church area received an average snowfall of 8.8 inches.

3. Taylor says:

10 inches in norfolk measured at 3 different locations

4. Chris says:

7 inches in Virginia Beach near Haygood, measured in 4 locations.

5. Edward M says:

Green Run area is between 8-9 in most spots I checked. Neighborhoods are burried in. Your car would be the snow plow.

1. Edward M says:

Virginia Beach btw.

6. Gray says:

Yes, I live in East Ocean View and a truck was stuck coming out of 19th Bay Street and two police trucks with four wheel drive didn’t stop to help the gentleman as he was flagging them to stop. So don’t bother calling 911 they won’t help. I called the non emergency number for the Norfolk Police and was told that officers cannot tow you, and I explained that all they needed to do is get out of their warm truck and help push him so he wouldn’t be blocking the two eSt lanes. She asked me if I wanted to make a complaint to the chief, but would have to put me on hold and then she hung up the phone. “What happened to Protect and Serve?” Thank goodness some good Samaritans stopped to help. I have a heart condition otherwise I would have been out there pushing myself along side the good people who did stop.
    Thank you and I hope you say something g about this terrible behavior by our police and how they use our tax dollars.
    Respectfully,
    Gray

7. Lesley says:

Still snowing in Red Mill in Virginia Beach. 13 inches drifted out my backdoor.

8. Jim W. says:

11 inches in 4 different spots in my yard…..

9. Sam says:

Is there a travel ban in place?

10. kathy says:

at 9:41 its still snowing in the REd Mill area of VaBeach

11. Butch says:

We have been disappointed in the coverage of this event. I know more about what is happening in Kill Devil Hills than in Chesapeake. Could you maybe mention us once in a while?

12. Debby says:

With all due respect, please get off the air. We have a nice morning home, it has STOPPED snowing, we all,know what schools and businesses are closed AND I was hoping to watch the TODAY show. I mean really… How much more can you say about this snow?

1. richard says:

Amen, Debby. I would like to watch Brian Williams tonight too !

2. spike says:

the TODAY show? really? you’ll learn more-and get a better quality of entertainment-by watching the snow fall

13. bob says:

How long can you possibly report on the snow. Can we please get back to reguler programing. Id like to watch the today show.h

1. richard says:

Nothing like beating a dead horse huh Bob

14. Emmanuel says:

Will you guys please post the police report for this morning of all the toal incidents, injuries, property damages and other issues due to the snow storm. You mentioned it briefly this morning and I thought it was really interesting.

15. Sherry says:

Although this snow is not good for snow balls, it’s excellent for snow cream. While out shopping for snow supplies, all my family members make sure they have their cans of Eagle Brand condensed milk and that they have a bowl strategically placed outside to gather snow.

16. L.McIntire says:

What the heck, WAVY? You keep saying “Stay off the road”, so why in the world would you tell people that Greenbrier Mall is open? What were you thinking?

17. Joe says:

These totals are wrong. Why is the Geico sales call center in Virginia Beach open today? Why are hundreds of its employees being told to drive into work to sell insurance?

18. Willy says:

An average of 4.5 inches in upper Newport News, by Newport News Park.

19. Chris says:

Team, the closings web page will not come up on the weather tab.

1. Emily says:

I noticed that too. It’s 1:38pm and I couldn’t pull the page out.

20. Amber says:

10-11 inches at my house near Red Mill in VA Beach

21. christi says:

we live next to camp allen and we got 12 inches of snow some places in my yard are only 8 inches but some are as much as 12 inches

22. Chris says:

Jeremy, I see a lot of talk of the February EURO models. Particularly arounnd February 9/10. So your best PREDICTION do you see heavy snowfall in the month of February? Thanks

23. richard says:

I think Don Slater and crew would be better suited to teaching a kindergarten class

I used to teach college classes. : ) Jeremy

24. beth cohen says:

Very annoyed that you are interrupting programming when we know to stay off roads, etc. Most annoying when Don Slater starts pontificating about ‘how did we do’ in terms of forecasting. Stop patting yourselves on the back. Utilize scrolls. We are trapped inside and would like some entertainment. Report at noon and regular hours unless there is a catastrophe. It is the same every year. Please share this with the news director.