Snow & Ice Safety Tips

January 21st, 2014 at 5:49 pm by under Weather

First of all here is how much snow we are expecting to get:

Latest Snow Forecast

Latest Snow Forecast

Time Line

Time Line For Snow

If you are going to be driving tonight while the snow is falling make sure to take care while driving and getting around. Growing up in Minnesota taught me some great ways how to keep my car on the road, here are a few:

• Accelerate and Decelerate SLOWLY. This is where your tires need to grip the road surface and keep your car in control. If they lose grip, you may lose control of the car.
  • Drive slowly, even if the road appears to be clear there may be ice.
  • Remember to trust the vibration of the brake pedal if you have anti-lock brakes. The vibration is helping you stop! If you have an old vehicle without anti-lock brakes then you will need to pump the brakes. Remember, do not pump the brakes if you DO HAVE anti-lock brakes.
  • When approaching turns remember to slow down before you enter the turn.
  • Do not tailgate other drivers, give yourself plenty of room, 2-3 times the car length that you would normally give at any speed.
  • Stay Home! If you don’t need to go out, Don’t! Wait for road conditions to improve.

Some pitfalls to watch out for:

• If you see a road that looks “wet” it may be ice.
  • 4 Wheel drive or AWD will not help you on ice, it does help with traction in snow however.
  • If you have a FWD car, remember to accelerate slowly from a stop.
  • Ice on roads tends to more more often at stoplights. Remember that if you have to stop at a red light and start slowing early.
  • If you have a green light, remember to look both ways before you accelerate. There may be a driver that cannot stop coming from another direction.
  • Do not Text And Drive, Avoid answering phone calls or making calls when the conditions are poor. Keep your eyes on the road for any mishaps that may occur ahead.

If you are clearing the snow from your home sidewalk or driveway:

• Shovel and or sweep the snow before you apply salt and ice melt.
  • Only apply ice melt to the sidewalks. The chemicals can kill grass and plants.

Don Slater & Tiffany Savona are tracking the snow tonight on WAVY TV 10. Jeremy Wheeler, Cheryl Tan and I will be tracking the conditions tomorrow morning starting at 4am.

Wind chills will be near 0 degrees tomorrow morning so remember to bundle up!

Drive and Walk slowly and stay safe and enjoy the rare snow across Hampton Roads!

Meteorologist Jeff Edmondson

8 Responses to “Snow & Ice Safety Tips”

1. John Haynes says:

I beg to differ, a 4 wheel drive is much better on ice than other drive configurations. The first one I had was used, came with a snow plow, which I begged the seller to delete for a lower price, but nothing doing. I was in grad school then and every penny counted, but I needed a 4WD for fieldwork. So I bought it and the snow plow. That winter had the most snow in 20 years in the Charlottesville area, and I made enough money with the plow to pay for the truck. I also learned to drive it uphill, on ice, with the plow on. So, so 4-wd helps with traction, even on ice, but stopping is another thing!!! On the upside to my comment, you are a very sharp meteorologist, best of the WAVY bunch in terms of knowing the science… also hot enough to melt the coming snow!

Cheers,

John

1. Jeff Edmondson WAVY says:

4 Wheel drive cannot grip tires on ice any better than 2 wheel drive. When you are on Ice, it is all about how you drive.

2. I really appreciate the coverage about preparing for the storm.
    BUT.
    I really think all of the stations here grossly over-cover these storm events by relentlessly going over and over the same information for hour after hour. Same deal on the other local stations.
    *** Maybe I stepped out of the room when you mentioned it, but I have not heard anybody pass along that Commander Naval Installations Mid-Atlantic has advised that essential personnel report on time tomorrow and all others report at 10:00 a.m. ***

With all the technology you have available, can’t you just put a crawler on the bottom of the screen like you do for election coverage and allow other programs to proceed after the news hours are over? Maybe have a pop-up graphic or “picture in picture” with the storm progress from time to time? I think a majority of your viewers would appreciate that a lot.

1. Chris says:

Not me! I love being informed. Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

3. Trenton says:

Will drewville get a lot of snow

4. Overkill says:

For the FWD owners, a little tip I learned a few years ago: If your car has traction control, turn it off if possible. May sound odd, but the computer’s ability to stop wheel spin will get you into more trouble than good on ice and snow. Inclines, such as bridges, overpasses, and driveways (especially ones with ice or ice/snow mix) are more prone to cause wheel spin, and the computer will either apply selective braking or reduce power, causing you to become stuck, and then a real safety hazard. Also, truck owners or those RWD vehicles prone to wheel spin due to low weight on the rear axle, sandbags or similar behind the vehicles rear axle will help put weight on the axle to improve traction. Also, if you lose control of your car in snow/ice, stay off the brake, apply light throttle, turn the wheel in the opposite direction the rear of the car is going to correct the slide. And remember, drive safe!

5. Mike says:

Or you can just call your job to see if its normal operations. If its anything like the newport neews shipyard you can just call a hotline.

6. Phillip says:

10.5f at Andersons Corner/ Toano and yes 3.5 inches of snow.