Sandy Sunday AM

October 28th, 2012 at 7:50 am by under Weather

Sandy is on track and is far from our area, but the effects are here.  We are already seeing some heavy rain in the region.  There is a strong north-south line that  is actually setup inland at the moment:

Super Doppler 10 (7:30am)

The storm is 260 miles to the southeast of Hatteras, but the winds are reaching along the coast already.  We have winds gusting up to 45mph near the shore out of the north-northeast.  Oregon Inlet had a gust to 55mph.  We do have some tidal flooding in the region already.  This morning it is expected to be moderate.  However, the tidal flooding will be moderate to severe tonight into tomorrow.  I’m especially concerned about the Outer Banks, Virginia Beach’s coast, and the Eastern Shore areas.  We are in the show right now, so I can’t write too much.  I will work on a very lengthy blog that will outline all of the details about tidal flooding, rainfall, and winds.  It will be out before 9:30am.  Meteorologist: Jeremy Wheeler

9 Responses to “Sandy Sunday AM”

1. Donald Duck says:

Is the storm over yet?

2. Donald Duck says:

Great weather for a duck.

1. Mickey Mouse says:

Not for a mouse.

2. Snowman says:

rain? ugh! let it snow!

3. W&M student says:

Thanks for sharing the science. Looking forward to your next update.

4. Monica Elliott says:

I understand the emphasis on the NE, but I don’t think many of us further south can really grasp the fact that this is a big storm. All the focus seems to be on the “cone of uncertainty” leaving many of us to believe that the storm may be “over-hyped” and that this is just a “run-of-the-mill” bad rainstorm. I am hearing too many of those types of comments in the public arena. Could this storm still fool us and dip a little south or further north of projection–or, are the models now airtight?

Hi Monica. Thanks for the input. I understand about the cone. We have been trying to emphasize that the wind field is very spread out. I think I needed to use the wind swath more this morning to display it. It won’t go farther south in the short term. Possibly late Monday though as it tries to head towards Delaware or New Jersey. That would really impact the Eastern Shore at that point. Jeremy

5. Meg says:

Thanks for the wonderful job, as usual Jeremy! Your blogs are always informative and smart, but during a storm are also a source of comfort. Thanks for all the hard work and long hours that I’m sure you’re putting in! Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks for that Meg. It is appreciated, and it is long hours. But comments like those make it worth it. Jeremy