Snowy Holiday

December 24th, 2010 at 1:17 pm by under Weather

I’m headed out of here on this Christmas Eve.  Just wanted to do a quick update before I go.  The models are coming in with more snow in the forecast.  I’ve put the southside through Northeast North Carolina in the 2-4″ category.  The rest of the area has a good shot at 1-2″ at least.  That may change.  Here is my latest snowfall forecast map:

Snowfall Forecast

This will get amended in the next 24 hours.  I didn’t include the Peninsula in the 2-4″, but that is one part that could change.  I finally got bufkit working again.  GFS spits out 4″ for Norfolk.  NAM has 2.3″.  I’ve upped the snow chance to 80%.  You can read my last blog for a little more detail.  Won’t it be nice to see some snow on Christmas.  The bulk of the snow will fall overnight Saturday into Sunday, but the latest GFS does keep the snow around through Sunday afternoon and possibly into the evening.  The Canadian model is also showing some snow now.  Good luck snow lovers, but also everyone be careful travelling late Saturday night or on Sunday.  The roads (especially secondaries) could start to stack up.

14 Responses to “Snowy Holiday”

1. Lori says:

Hi Jeremy,
    My mother in law has to drive from Virginia Beach to Jacksonville Fl. on Sunday. She’ll be leaving early. What do you think route 95 is going to look like heading south? Thanks, you’re the greatest!

2. fatima30 says:

So, i guess we should have 4 inches. I hope we get more, but that’s plenty. Keep up the good work! I go on http://www.farmersalmanac.com, then I sign in, plus you can sign-up free, and also you after signing in, then click forum and then click weather, and people talk about future storms,etc. and lots of people are talking about this exciting snowstorm.

3. sheila hightower says:

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!! Yeah Jeremy!!!!!! a Very Merry White Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

4. Joe Weather says:

Hey Jeremy. Just wanted to say, I love the blogs. It shows you have passion for your work. With that being said, what are you thinking for the peninsula areas? I’m still looking at the GFS and NAM models and they are still showing the system moving off the coast. Do you think this could be like a few years ago when we got hit with around eight inches or so? I recall it was much like this system and every meteorologists in the country pretty much blew it and said it was a non-event. I’m just curious if the likelihood of this happening is still there. Could the two systems fuse faster than predetermined? I know there are a lot of variable, I just want to know what your gut feeling is. Anyways, I think you’re a great meteorologist, have a Merry Christmas.

5. David says:

Jeremy,

What do you think about this latest GFS run?

Wishful thinking? Or possible?
    Have a wonderful Christmas!

6. emily j says:

I love your updates :) I live on the eastern shore and I constantly check for new blogs, then deliver my findings to all the people in walmart where I work :)

7. Linda says:

Thanks Jeremy for the blog…..I love it.

8. Brett says:

Hey Jeremy my name is Brett, I have a question. They have these GFS Models coming up around 6 PM and 12 AM saying 14-16 inches in Southeast Virginia, and Northeast North Carolina my question is, that an error or the signs of a strong Super Snow Storm Heading our way?

9. Jared says:

I saw some recent models that showed the storm closer to shore and more snow. National Weather Service shows 8-12″ here is that correct or will it be warmer and some rain before snow?

10. craig says:

wow wavy really were under a winter storm watch incase you didnt know…why havent you guys updated anything??? wow…slacking.

11. Charlie says:

Thanks Jeremy! Merry Christmas!

12. Alisa Segner says:

We miss your blogs when you are off! Looking forward to hearing what you think of this latest winter storm! Please blog as soon as you can! (BTW – I hope your boss realizes the great job you do with this blog! Not everyone can post entries like you do. You have a great writing style!)
    Keep up the good work!
    Merry Christmas!
    The Segners from Smithfield, VA

13. Margaret Norfleet says:

Someone from our church wants to know when the last time it snowed on Christmas in Chesapeake was? I don’t remember, but am guessing you all have that info in your vast resources? If you can check, I would appreciate it.

14. em says:

It’s a mess here in Ahoskie. There’s some accumaltion of snow but the really bad thing is how hard it’s snowing and poor visibility.