November Nor’easter Travel Headaches

November 12th, 2009 at 3:42 am by under Traffic

This November Nor’easter has thrown all of us for a loop.

The highways, so far, haven’t been too bad, though. I’m crossing my fingers that that stays true! A little rain, of course, causes backups at the tunnels as well as accidents.

Skidding can be a problem.
And what’s the best way to avoid that issue? Slow down!!

Skids almost always occur when a vehicle is simply going too fast.

If you do find yourself in a skid, take your foot off the gas, or smoothly release any pressure on the brakes if already applied, and if you are driving a standard shift vehicle, disengage the clutch. Quickly turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the front of the car to go (down the road). Basically, align the tires with the direction you want your car to go.

Tidal flooding will be a big problem with this Nor’easter. We always say this when tidal flooding occurs. We’re going to say it again. Don’t drive through standing water. You just don’t know how deep that water will go.

Here at Wavy’s studios in Downtown Portsmouth, we know the realities of tidal flooding all too well. We deal with what is affectionately called “Lake Wavy,” a growing pool of water right outside our building. Have workarounds planned, or the phone numbers of co-workers who can guide you in the right direction!!!

Do you know of any other areas that flood with high tide?

Be careful out there today!

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “November Nor’easter Travel Headaches”

1. Barb Rippel says:

Has it flooded on
    rt 17 on the Isle of Wight Side as you come off the JRB??

2. chris kleckner says:

Is the Chincoteague causway open to traffic? It is a series of 6 bridges and 5 miles of road connecting the island to the mainland.

3. chris kleckner says:

Is the Chincoteague causway open this morning?

4. AP says:

I work at Fleet and Family on Hampton Blvd…Can we get in the parking lot.

5. terry says:

The closure of Dominion Blvd (Steel Bridge) has created significant backup on Cedar Road – southbound . Cedar Road is now the funnel for all the traffic coming up from NC (17 North)as well as the residents of Chesapeake between Battlefield and US 17. Appears to be at least a 3-4 mile backup on Cedar Road headed southbound toward Battlefield Blvd and the Chesapeak By-pass.

6. Mimi says:

Pertaining to the school closings, almost every public school system on the peninsula has closed except for Newport News. Myself and the parents of my child’s friends opted to keep our children home for their safety. Why haven’t school officials seen to their safety?

7. Scott Sims says:

The JRB is closed by the State Highway patrol, they are turning folks around right by Raceway gas station. The road is flooded over with muddy water and you cannot see the road. There are two cars in the ditch

8. T says:

Good morning, are the streets around the Corps of Engineering bldg in downtown Norfolk closed? Need to get there today.

Thank you for all that you do!

9. Brenda says:

Cheryl, Can you tell me the condition of Waterside Dr. in Norfolk have a meeting down there today. Wondering if I should even try it.

Thanks

10. Mary B says:

What are the road conditions around Crawford St. / London St./ Portsmouth Federal Building area ? You mentioend it was flooded at one point around 6:45 a.m. Are there any updates?

11. Sue Williams says:

Has it flooded on route 17/George Washington Highway in the Deep Creek Area of Chesapeake?

12. Dick says:

Anyone know if the Long Bridge in Deep Creek is open or closed?

13. Cheryl Tan says:

Hello!

Thanks for commenting here. Probably the best way to get an answer to your questions would be to type them into our live chat forum. Click on the November Nor’easter tab and go to Cover It Live.

Just heard from VDOT. The Chincoteague Causeway, Route 175, is expected to close at 3:30 p.m. today (Thursday) because of tidal flooding.
    Both sides of the James River Bridge are closed once again.

If you have an appointment anywhere today or tomorrow, I would call ahead. Everyone is dealing with this issue!!!

Thanks for watching! We’ll be back on the air starting at 4 a.m. Friday.

Cheryl Tan

14. stacie bennett says:

I am always complaining about traffic in Hampton Roads when it rains. always seems like there are 4 cars one in each lane on 264 all going 25mph. I do not mind people going as slow as they feel safe, but please move over to the right. the one thing I noticed as I had to drive wednesday nite is I could not tell where my lane was, traffic was all hitting brakes as people vered from their lanes. I got on 264 at independence towards 64 and could not see the lane lines at all. I thought it would get better on 64 but it did not. something seriously needs to be done about this hazzard!

15. jen says:

Just made it through the mid-town tunnel all the way to crawford st in Portsmouth. I’m not sure when it re-opened.