Company closed and you need your W-2?

January 19th, 2009 at 5:29 pm by under 10 On Your Side

In the past few months we have seen a lot of businesses close and layoff their employees around Hampton Roads. As we all know, tax season is right around the corner and a lot of people must be wondering if they are going to get their W-2 from that company that seemed to vanish overnight. If you’re one of those people, here are some important steps that you should take to get your taxes filed:

1. Attempt to contact your employer. If you do not hear from them by January 31st, send a certified letter to them and use that as proof that you tried to contact them.

2. Pull out your old pay stubs and try to gather as much information as possible. Do your best to reconcile your annual withholdings and income.

3. If you have old W-2′s pull those out and look for your employer’s ID number.

4. If you have not received a response from your certified letter by February 15th, call the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040. Make sure that you have all the important information with you when you call them. You will need your name, address, telephone number, social security number, dates of employment, name and address of your employer, as well as the business’ employee ID number. The IRS can attempt to get a W-2 for you and at that point can send you a Form 4852 which looks like this (IRSform4852).

5. If all of your attempts to contact your previous employer and obtain a W-2 were unsuccessful, then you can file your taxes with 4852 form.

6. Lastly file your taxes. And if you do end up receiving a W-2 after you have already filed your taxes, you can file an amended return using Form 1040X.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Jamie Shackelford

10 On Your Side Producer

Leave a Reply